Taste of home


New Hampshire is nice.




Really.




But....




there are not many Latinos.




And I will admit, it makes me feel out of place when I look like everyone else around me.




I need the rich colors of South America, the soft lilting sound of Spanish, and, believe it or not, the poverty.




I miss cobblestone roads, cows on the streets, and fresh cow's milk delivered to my door twice a week.


With me feeling a little down about not being home (and by home I mean anywhere south of Florida) Super Hero Husband set out to find me some Harina Pan for my favorite comfort food.


Arepas.


He is successful and brings home two bags, white Mexican cheese, and ham.


I make the dough, pat it into that familiar round shape, drop them in hot oil and finish them off in the oven.


I spread way too much butter inside, sprinkle cheese on and stuff with ham.


I close my eyes and take a bit.


First, a crunch.


Then, the soft gooey inside.


I'm home.

9 comments:

Tereza said...

It must be hard to go from one culture to another.....it's fast paced here isn't it?

Rita Loca said...

I want some home too!

Amanda said...

sounds yummy!

Brenda said...

Looks delicious. I can totally relate. Paul lives in a nieghborhood now that is SO Latin, I love it. They even sell plantains at the fruit stand and chubby mexican mama's walk around with their toddlers and they sell "elote" and pan dulce on all the street corners.

Its "home" for us :)

Caraqueña said...

NICE husband :)

Caraqueña said...

NICE husband :)

Doug Wilcox said...

Now that made me hungry.

In this area, the most authentic Central/South American/Latin American is probably the Rincón Colombiana in Nashua, not far from the McCobb's old house.

Doug Wilcox said...

And I absolutely agree that this part of New England is far too "white."

I did what I could to remedy that, but I'm just one person ...

Doug Wilcox said...

And I absolutely agree that this part of New England is far too "white."

I did what I could to remedy that, but I'm just one person ...