Because I get asked all the time...

DSC_0223



"How do you make baby food?"

It's really so easy, no recipes involved. Make food once a month, or once a week, or three times a day depending on your schedule.
I always start the baby off with fruit. Apples, pears, and bananas. I love bananas because I don't have to cook them. The first veggies I give are avocados, carrots, and squash.
I peel the fruit (or veggie...whatever I'm cooking.) Chop or slice it into small chunks and then steam them till soft. I put them in a blender add a tiny bit of filtered water and blend till soft and smooth. I like to add cinnamon too, just a teeny bit for flavor.
I like to make mine once a week...right now it's applesauce with carrot puree. I store it in a big Tupperware container and scoop out what she needs for each feeding. I warm it up on the stove with some oatmeal cereal (I grind oatmeal in the coffee grinder but you can buy some store bought).

I start the baby on solids when the baby is ready for it. Elena was ready at three months, Abbie was ready at 6 1/2 months, and Lexi was ready at 3 1/2 months. Once they reach the point where they are hungry ALL THE TIME and I can't keep up with the feedings I offer some soft baby food, if they except it well, they're ready, as far as I'm concerned. I don't worry about offering all sorts of varieties for as long as they are still nursing.


Be informed, read health/baby/mothering articles, but not scary ones. I find that mother usually does know best, sometimes even more than doctors. Go with your gut, your instinct, your intuition. Common sense goes a long way in mothering, I think.

0 comments: