I'm asked often how I get my kids to eat their vegetables.
They love vegetables.
So, here's my big secret.
I get my kids to eat their vegetables by giving my kids vegetables to eat.
I don't know if that is why they eat their veggies or not. Maybe I've just been blessed with three non-picky eaters?
But in case I've done something right, here goes:
- Offer veggies all the time. For snacks, for meals, for teethers...
- They must have at least one bite of everything.
- They are never, ever, ever allowed to spit something out of their mouth. Unless of course the food is rotten and I didn't realize it. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet.
- If they spit something out, I pick it up again and put it back in their mouth. Yes, I am a mean mother...but one, maybe two times of having to swallow "spit up" food and they never do it again. (Children who spit out perfectly good food...well, that's a pet peeve of mine. Don't get me started.)
- Fresh, crunchy veggies are yummy. Soggy, gooey over-cooked ones are not. Offer the healthy variety.
- Be gracious. Abbie only has to eat a small spoonful of beans when we have them. Elena does not need to eat a heaping pile of spicy food, but they should eat some.
How do you get your kids to eat their food?
(Brocoli is probably a choking hazard or something...I don't know. Rest assured that I was watching her closely while she teethed on her broccoli.)