I've been asked.

I'm asked often how I get my kids to eat their vegetables.
They love vegetables.
So, here's my big secret.

I get my kids to eat their vegetables by giving my kids vegetables to eat.

I don't know if that is why they eat their veggies or not. Maybe I've just been blessed with three non-picky eaters?

But in case I've done something right, here goes:

  • Offer veggies all the time. For snacks, for meals, for teethers...
  • They must have at least one bite of everything.
  • They are never, ever, ever allowed to spit something out of their mouth. Unless of course the food is rotten and I didn't realize it. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet.
  • If they spit something out, I pick it up again and put it back in their mouth. Yes, I am a mean mother...but one, maybe two times of having to swallow "spit up" food and they never do it again. (Children who spit out perfectly good food...well, that's a pet peeve of mine. Don't get me started.)
  • Fresh, crunchy veggies are yummy. Soggy, gooey over-cooked ones are not. Offer the healthy variety.
  • Be gracious. Abbie only has to eat a small spoonful of beans when we have them. Elena does not need to eat a heaping pile of spicy food, but they should eat some.




DSC_0126

How do you get your kids to eat their food?

(Brocoli is probably a choking hazard or something...I don't know. Rest assured that I was watching her closely while she teethed on her broccoli.)

2 comments:

Allison Van de Kemp said...

My kids love veggies too...also, probably because they never got an option! My mom used to require us to have 2 bites of everything & if we complained--that got us another bite!

Kathy said...

I think you're doing a fantastic job--and you're right! Kids do what they're allowed (or don't do what they're not allowed) to do! My sister used your philosophy on her kids and they still (ages 17, 18, & 20) eat healthily--well, most of the time! :)