Shortbread Cookies

Recipe adapted from Apples for Jam

7 tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
A few drops of vanilla extract
About 2/3 cup of your favorite jam (we used strawberry)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Have a large sheet cake pan ready, I lined mine with wax paper.

Put the butter and sugar in bowl and mix together till well blended. Add the flour and baking powder and mix them in. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix until compact and smooth. Place in zip top baggie in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, or until dough is firm enough to roll out.
Divide your dough in half. Roll out one half on floured surface, gently place in your baking pan. (Drape it over your rolling pin to carry it over to the pan)
Spread jam on that half.
Roll out other half of dough, and place on top of jam. Pinch the edges closed.
Bake for about 15 minutes, or until it begins to brown in areas.
Let cool in pan for about 5 minutes then cut out shapes with a cookie cutter.




We started with a snowflake shape since that is the only cookie cutter that got left out of the Christmas box. Oops.
shortbread9

But then I got impatient so I just cut it all out into squares.
shortbread8

They still tasted good that way. Perfect with a cup of tea.
shortbread3

1 comments:

Mr & Mrs John said...

Hello Jackie,
I'm a missionary wife in Ghana, West Africa. I found your blog a little while ago and have been enjoying it ever since. Love your candid look into the life of a missionary wife and mommy. I'd like to include a link to your site on my blog. Please let me know if you'd rather me not.
Have a great day!
Patty Sommer