His gifts are good!

Oh my, but I am a baby in February. A whiny, ungrateful baby. I can handle the heat of Paraguay in December (Christmas distracts me!), I gather up strength for January and make it through okay...but February? The shortest month of the year? I use it as an excuse to avoid all sorts of things. Laundry, cooking, and playing outside with the girls...those things I know are okay to cut back on. But grace? Kind words? Loving my neighbor? Is high heat and high humidity (day after day after day) a reasonable excuse to put those aside?


No.

And so every day for the past week I have been preaching short sermons to myself about praising God, giving thanks, and showing patience to my girls. Since I am a sinner I fail miserably...but I try again and again. To put aside love of self and replace it with love for others. To put aside complaints and replace with praise and gratitude.

I will be thankful because I am blessed.

Yes, there is culture shock and yes it's hot and yes I'm tired.

I have culture shock because God has graciously allowed me to live my life in many countries. It's hot because it's summer. The season of popsicles, pools, and cook-outs. All gifts from God.
I'm tired because I am the mother of three small girls who are healthy and energetic and constantly learning.

So today I am thankful because God has filled my life with His blessings.

It's messy, it's hectic ,and yes, hot, but it's beautiful and God will be glorified through it.


DSC_0266DSC_0258DSC_0233robotsDSC_0062LexiLooPoormansmuf2DSC_0033DSC_0008DSC_0071DSC_0035DSC_0030DSC_0015DSC_0024DSC_0020DSC_0089DSC_0069DSC_0005DSC_0047DSC_0001


3 comments:

Laine said...

Great post Jackie. Thank you! I needed this today! It is so easy to get caught up in the problems that I forget all the daily gifts He gives. It's been a rough week around here and this was a great reminder.

You are blessing and I'm thankful for you!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!! Your transparency is a blessing to me!
Love you! MJ

Mr & Mrs John said...

Oh Jackie, I agree! February does seem to be one of the most difficult months - hot, hot, hot! Thanks for admitting that you aren't the only one struggling with your patience, either! Thanks for the beautiful photo reminders that there is always something to be thankful for!